Sunday, November 23, 2014

Meet the Mommies: Dana Early (first interviewee!)

I met Dana Roberts (now Dana Early) the very first day of my freshman year at Westminster College. She was my next door neighbor in Jeffers Hall and quickly became one of my best friends. We liked the same TV shows (this was the year of Trista and Ryan on "The Bachelor" so that was a staple program for us), we both loved horses, and eventually joined the same sorority (Alpha Gamma Delta - go squirrels!) Our sophomore, junior, and senior years we lived together on our sorority suite and in many ways, we grew up together. The majority of my fond college memories involve Dana in some way - whether it was getting "gassed" at the Phi Tau house, pranking Laura B's bed, or driving to Applebee's happy hours listening to Michael Jackson and Nat King Cole - we were pretty inseparable those four years.

As we grew older and I moved away from Pittsburgh to Cleveland I saw Dana less though we'd always keep in touch via email, phone, and social media. I got married in May '08, she got married a few months later in October. We were bridesmaids for each other and got to share in the happiest day of our lives together.



It wasn't too long before Dana told me she was pregnant. Knowing she always wanted a family, I was naturally ecstatic for her. She had a healthy baby boy, named William.

Now that she has had her second child, she is just like the rest of us moms and struggles to find the perfect balance between career and family.


Read on for more of our interview together...


the happy family of four

Cleveland Mommy Diary (CMD): Dana, thank you for taking time to interview with me today. First off, how many children do you have and what are their names and ages?

Dana: Will (24 months) and Haddie (4 months)

CMD: Were there any differences you noticed with your second pregnancy, or anything that eased your mind since you had gone through this before?

Dana: I definitely got bigger quicker the second time around. I was less worried about certain pains and changes this time around since I knew what to expect and had asked those questions the first time around.

I carried Haddie much higher than I did with Will, at least it felt like I did. I also had more heartburn and she was born with wild crazy hair. So perhaps that wives tale is true.

It was also much easier to tell the difference between Braxton Hicks and real contractions. There was no confusing the two this time.

CMD: How much maternity leave did you get with both Will and Haddie?

Dana: 12 weeks with each child

CMD: You utilize daycare services. What do you like and dislike about daycare?

Dana: I am very fortunate to have daycare at my place of employment. I am able to nurse Haddie over lunch and see Will during the day. It is also very easy to run down there if any of the teachers have a concern they wish to discuss. I also like the teachers that my children have. They have a genuine concern about the well-being of the children they teach.

What I like least... Even though I really like the staff at the daycare, there seems to be a very high turnover. It has never been a problem for us so far, however I believe a little better consistency would be beneficial for the kids.

CMD: What was your biggest worry or concern before Haddie was born?

Dana: I was mostly worried about how exactly I was going to manage two children and wanting to make sure Haddie didn't get the short end of the stick for being second. Her "firsts" are just as important Will's. This is actually still something I worry about.

CMD: How did Will react to the baby at first and how is he reacting now?

Dana: Will loves baby Haddie. We talked a lot about her before she arrived and it seemed to help. He loves helping out with Haddie but definitely needs to be reminded of being gentle with her.

CMD: When did you and Josh (and Will!) know that you were ready for another child?

Dana: Honestly we planned from the beginning to have them close in age since we are both close in age with our siblings. I might need a few years before I can officially answer if that was a good idea or not.

CMD: I remember when Charlotte was born I was not prepared for how hard it would be to send her to daycare. What was something that you were not prepared for either the first or second time around?

Dana: Really the thing that I think about most is the first time Will said a word that I know I hadn't taught him. It was "cow". So he learned it at daycare which is a good thing as they are supposed to learn things at school. However it made me sad and somewhat jealous that I couldn't be with him all day to teach him everything he needs to know.

CMD: Since you work full time, how do you find that work/life balance that so many of us struggle with? Do you struggle with it at all?

Dana: Umm, I am still working on this one. I have been back to work now for a month and feel like I am running around with my head cut off at least half of the day. I want to be a great mother and wife and also successful at my job. So I would love suggestions from other moms about how to make this happen.

CMD: What would be some advice for moms out there thinking of baby number two?

Dana: Enjoy going to the grocery store now with just one child. It is impossible to go with an infant and a toddler. That being said even though Haddie is only four months I can't imagine her not being here. It is incredibly easy to love two kids and I wouldn't change it.

CMD: What is the worst parenting advice you ever received?

Dana: Haddie has wild crazy hair. Someone told me to cut it off. "It's her signature hair, crazy person," is what I wanted to say.

CMD: And what was the best advice?

Dana: Pick your battles. Not everything is worth worrying or arguing about because you will drive yourself crazy if you try to make everything perfect.




-------

The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it.
Hubert H. Humphrey


Once again thank you, Dana, for not only sharing your story with my blog, but also for being such a wonderful and dear person and friend. I wish you and your adorable family a very Happy Thanksgiving.


Note: if you are interested in being interviewed for a future "Meet the Mommies" article, please contact me at amanda.meriwether@yahoo.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment