Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Christmas, New Year's, and Our First Ear Infection

I realize it's been awhile since my last post...and a lot has happened since then. Charlotte started daycare on December 2nd, and making the transition from just having my mom or mother in law watch her to complete strangers watching her has been tough. I cried several times on the first few days driving into work, but everyone was really supportive and told me it would get easier. That is true, but I still have some days where I question if I'm making the right decision to return to work full-time.

Luckily, I really love the daycare we chose and the infant/teacher ratio is lower than most daycares in the area (4 babies to one teacher, some are as high as 5:1). I still don't know how these women manage to feed, change, and play with all of these babies when I sometimes have a hard time managing one. The daycare teachers in the Baby Birch room (that's the name of their classroom - so cute) really seems to take an interest in Charlotte and her learning, and they send me daily progress reports including a new sensory experience (like handling ice cubes) each day. Sometimes they include a photo which just makes my day. For Christmas presents for her teachers Charlotte and I (well, she watched) baked chocolate chip cookies and put them in Christmas tins and tied it with a ribbon and pretty tag. They were all very appreciative of the gift and it just goes to show that it's really the thought that counts, not how much you spend.

Sam and I hosted Christmas in Shaker Heights for the third year in a row. I definitely had major anxiety over hosting with a newborn baby, but somehow it all came together wonderfully. I was even able to take a break from mom duty to see the Cleveland Orchestra's annual Christmas Concert with my mom and sister. It was a lovely night out filled with lots of laughs (shut di door, keep out the devil -- haha, inside joke there).


Charlotte received a TON of Christmas gifts -- she was spoiled for sure! Some highlights: her deluxe car seat that will fit her until she's 110 lbs, lovely personalized snow globe from Birdy, her "What Does the Fox Say" gift basket from Birdy, beautiful Ralph Lauren Christmas quilt from Auntie S, Bumbo seat from her grandma, Peanuts train set from my dad, talking dog that she can ride when she's bigger from uncle J, and her Stuffie from mom and dad. That was about 1/8 of the gifts she received but I'm sure you can imagine it was quite the gift opening extravaganza.

If you'd like to watch Charlotte's first Christmas, check out the video I made here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGVNSyrzXls

I had to work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, and unfortunately we rang in the new year with a sick baby. We took her to the doctor this past Monday and she has double ear infections and a bit of croup. I've had to take a few days off work to stay home with her, and although they've been challenging it makes you understand what unconditional love is. I'd do anything to make her better. The antibiotics seem to have kicked in, and a few of my friends recommended putting Vicks on their feet, which also has seemed to help big time. Hopefully she is on the mend now!

OK, I hear a peanut downstairs that needs attention - hope to write more soon! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment