Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Moms: 12 Tips to Make it Through the Holidays

With only 64 days until Christmas, stores are already decorating their interiors and putting out the "hottest toys for 2014" lists. Read on for some of my best tips for how to manage it all without losing your cool.

1. Remember that it's not all about the gifts. My church announced they are starting to collect new and gently used bookbags for children in El Salvador. Not everyone has the same opportunities that we have. Instead of buying one more meaningless cashmere sweater, offer to sponsor a family in need this holiday season.

2. Take time for yourself. I know, I know. You hear this all the time. It's hard to find "couple time" let alone "alone time." My alone time typically consists of showering and drying my hair - what a treat! In all seriousness though, it's important to have quiet time to catch up on reading or two hours to get a massage and go to the salon because your roots are 3 inches long. Pick one day on the calendar and block it off as "MOM DAY!"

3. Take help when it is offered. For some reason taking someone up on their offer to help feels like a failure. I know I've had many friends and family members offer to help me out and I've never gotten back to them or just say, "It's fine, I am getting along great." Sometimes we need some help! If a friend offers to come over and babysit for an hour so you can go to the grocery store, doctor's appointment or to get some shopping done, remind yourself that you are not failing and reply, "Yes, that would be great. Thank you!"

4. Reconsider the visit to Santa. Last year I took Charlotte as a 4 month old and she was all smiles. I saw a lot of parents with older children though who were scared, screaming and crying. If your child is terrified of Santa, don't force them to sit on his lap. Ask your child what they would like to do! Maybe it is to go see Santa, but then they get nervous when their time is near. Remind them it was their idea to see him, but they can always change their mind too. Alternate ideas to the forced close proximity to Santa: snowball fight, build a snowman, bake some cookies together, create a keepsake holiday ornament with a recent photo.

5. Watch your favorite holiday movie with a glass of wine. My all time favorite is Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation. I think I have just about every line memorized at this point and it still makes me laugh to this day. The point is to watch something that makes you happy and reminiscient and it will be even funnier with a little buzz.

6. Set spending limits. Talk to your spouse/partner/significant other about what you can afford to spend this holiday season. Deciding upfront how much you'll spend rather than racking up credit cards with high interest rates is the better way to approach it. If you and your significant other decide not to exchange gifts this year to save some money (my husband and I did that last year) then be sure to do something small together. Even if it's just cuddling up together with some hot cocoa and watching your wedding video or looking at old photos together, it doesn't have to be expensive to be meaningful.

7. Start planning now to get holiday photos taken. I know it seems early, but I've already got my photo session booked for Nov. 1. If you plan to get cards in the mail and want some photos hanging before the actual holiday, best to get the outfit now and the photographer on the phone. Last year I waited too long and was rushing to get cards in the mail. This year I am thinking ahead so that come mid December I can be less stressed.

8. Try on your holiday dress a few weeks before Christmas/New Year's/etc. I made this mistake two years ago after I found out I was pregnant. I was barely showing but the dress my mom had bought me six weeks earlier no longer fit. I was hysterical and emotional and couldn't find a darn thing to wear - a recipe for disaster at 7 pm on Christmas Eve night! Even if you're sure the dress you plan to wear "still fits" give it a try. The worst thing to happen is my scenario above. Best case scenario is that you try it on, it doesn't fit, and you have an impromptu stop to H&M or Ann Taylor Loft in the works. (see #3 above for babysitting help)

9. Ask for what you want, not what you need. As moms, I think we immediately feel guilty if we want to indulge a little bit. This is the time of year to ask for something other than new cookware or bath towels! If you really want that $25 Nars Manhunt lipstick or $25 Diorshow mascara that normally you'd never think of buying, put it on the list! Maybe Santa thinks you look smoking hot with red lips and long lashes too.

10. Take lots of photos and videos. This may seem like a given but often times it's the day after Christmas, everyone is leaving and not looking their best, and this is suddenly when the family portait idea comes up. Make a timeline on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and be sure to schedule that family shot when everyone (including you) is looking their best. The little ones grow up so fast and it's nice to have those keepsake photos and videos to look back on as they get older.

11. Laughter really is the best medicine. If something doesn't go right (your child cries during a holiday concert, or ruins their fancy Christmas dress with a crazy poopy diaper) laugh it off! We've all been there. Make sure you have a few friends who you can share these experiences with because in the end perfection is boring. It's the little things that make the holidays memorable.

12. Keep Calm and Remember There's New Years! If Christmas means the entire family is in town visiting, schedule a low key New Year's Eve. Last year Sam and I rang in 2014 with a cranky baby (we later found out she had an ear infection) while watching "Finding Nemo" with a bottle of Prosecco. Giving your loved ones a kiss at midnight is sometimes the best part of New Year's Eve night (well, for me it is anyway.)



Christmas 2013 - Charlotte (3.5 months, and Bruiser, 5 years old at the time)

No comments:

Post a Comment