Monday, October 27, 2014

Surprise trip to Hocking Hills for my (early) 31st birthday

My husband, Sam, surprised me this past weekend with a "mystery trip" that he's been planning for months. About a week ago he finally broke the news to me, mainly because I had a work conflict that I needed to rearrange, and he was scared to pack for me (as any man should be for his wife), and he was also afraid that if I didn't have time to mentally prepare for leaving Charlotte that I wouldn't want to go! This trip was after all my first time leaving her overnight in 14 months!

My mom came up Thursday night and we went over Charlotte's schedule. Friday morning Sam and I were off - the destination still unknown for me at this point! As we traveled south in Ohio Sam kept asking me if I knew where we were headed. "I haven't a clue," I'd reply. And truthfully I did not! As we pulled onto Honey Fork road, I saw a sign for Hocking Hills and realized we had reached our destination! We had a beautiful house for the weekend, complete with a hot tub, pool table, and cute lodge vibe. As Sam and I started making our weekend "witch's brew" - a concoction of whiskey, cinnamon sticks, and apple cider (delicious!) he asked if I wanted to go outside. In the driveway I found Amy and Colin, two of my favorite friends. A little while later another dear friend, Laura B, showed up, and a little while after that my sister Samantha and her boyfriend, Klaus, arrived! I was so surprised and glad that they had all made the trek to Hocking Hills for my (early) 31st birthday celebration.

The first day and night we all just chatted, played games, caught up and utilized the hot tub. It was such a great time just hanging with my friends and making memories and laughing and being silly. Around midnight my dear friend Mallory arrived -- she had driven 7 hours from Virginia to be there. I was so happy she was there to spend the weekend with us.


dear friends
my loving husband

The next morning, Sam told me he had another surprise for me. As we drove on crazy country roads we finally arrived at the Equestrian Ridge Farm! Horseback riding! I was absolutely thrilled! I had an Icelandic pony growing up (my dad bought Christopher for me when I was 8 years old) and I loved him so much. It was great to get back in the saddle!

First the owners paired us up with our respective horses (I had Rocky!) and then we mounted the horses (I actually made it onto my horse without using the steps -- pretty good for being only 5"1) and started practicing in the corralled arena. I was a little nervous because I had an English saddle, and I was used to a country one, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Once practice was over, we set out! The trail ride was an hour and a half long and we could not have had a better day for the ride. It was 68 degrees, sunny, and the leaves and scenery was simply stunning. A few times on the trail I caught myself admiring the beauty around me and the simplicity of riding a horse.


Rocky, my horse for the day. He was a very good boy.

Our group had a few laughs on the ride too. Laura had never been on a horse before (she got Duke - who was "very polite") and Sam got Bo who was acting like a misogynist that particular day and had to stay in the back. Bo did try to take a bite out of Rocky when he got too close at one point! The owners/instructors rode with us and gave us hands on instructions, which I needed at certain points when we were going down a steep hill or over a soft, muddy area. All of the horses did a fantastic job and everyone felt at ease. It surprised me how well Sam and Colin took to horseback riding since neither of them had been on a horse before. About twenty minutes into the ride they both looked like longtime cowboys! Klaus was also a natural and he told me he used to ride horses often in El Salvador. It surprised me how responsive Rocky was to my commands and how sore I was when I finally dismounted! I would recommend the horseback riding to anyone who wants an amazing experience in a beautiful backdrop.


on the trail - we look like pros!

In all, it was a fantastic weekend. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband who would plan a trip like that for me, a wonderful mom who babysat my daughter, and amazing friends who would make the trip to be a part of it all.


plaid for days - country chic with my girls


the whole gang

P.S. Reuniting with Charlotte was fantastic and I gave her lots of hugs and kisses. :)

my 14 month old baby girl who loves her pumpkins





No comments:

Post a Comment